Things to say and not say to your girlfriends going through a break-up…
We all have our friends who are there for us when a relationship ends, sometimes they say exactly what you want to hear and sometimes they don’t. Who can blame them right? Well, let me give you some hints as someone who has tried to comfort my friends and as someone who has been comforted myself… here we go!
Things to say:
- You’re going to be OK (that guy never deserved you anyway)
- Why not try something new (a new hobby)
- I will always be here if you need to talk
- If you need me to kill him, just say the word (I know some guys-Just kidding!)
- You’re a great girl and any guy would be lucky to be with you
- Which Ben and Jerry’s flavor would you like to try tonight? (hey, ice cream never hurt anyone!)
- Give yourself some time, things will get better
Things NOT to say:
- I’m sorry your relationship ended, he was a great guy…(thanks for the reminder!)
- Hey, would it be ok if I date him now?
- Do you know where he usually hangs out, why not stalk him and remind him what he’s missing out on (PLEASE don’t do this, I beg you)
- One phone call won’t hurt (he probably misses you too-HINT: he doesn’t!)
- Just go meet some new guys and hook up with them, you will forget him right away
- Date that guy (insert name) he always liked you anyway
- I was looking at his Facebook page for you, it looks like there are some girls that really like him (PLEASE ladies, don’t do this to your friends)
So, this is just a short list of do’s and don’ts for what to say to your friends when they are going through a break-up. Girls often need support from their friends not a reminder of why the relationship failed. Sometimes this will mean a few kind words and sometimes it will be you bringing a tub of ice cream and a spoon. It just depends on the situation but ladies; one thing we know how to do well is be a good friend to one another.
So, break out the girl power movies and the Chinese food…It’s a girls night
Miss Behaving xox